Saturday, December 12, 2009

FCA Meeting (Dec. 11) - Agenda and Discussion Questions

1. Last Time: Hope is the confidence in the work that has already been done, the planning that is in place, and the potential that lies ahead.

2. What is the best Team you have ever played against? Best Athlete? How did it make you feel to go up against someone you knew was better than you?
- The best team I have ever played against is Thomas Jefferson my sophomore year of football. We put up a good fight, but they were just too good. They ended up beating us 35-16 and later went on to play for the State Championship. The best athlete I have ever gone up against was Johnathon Baldwin from Aliquippa my sophomore year of basketball. I knew he was way better than me, but I liked it because it made me work 10 times harder to compete with him.

3. Coach John Wooden (10 National Championships) had 2 suggestions for his players: (1) Don't try to be better than someone else (2) Always give your best effort

4. What percent of the time do you give your best effort in the classroom? At practice? In games?
- In the classroom, I would say I give my best effort depending on the class. If I like the class, I will give at least 90 percent, but if I don't like the class I probably only give 60 percent effort. At practice, some days I might not have energy, feel sick, or had a bad day and might no give a full effort. Most of the time though I try to give my best effort. In games, I always give 100 percent effort. I never want to let myself or my teammates down.

5. Why do you think the majority of us have adopted a "good enough" work ethic?
- Because many of us are too lazy to finish a drill or know that are coaches might be too soft on us and won't yell at us for not finishing.

6. Is it possible to "underachieve"? What about "overachieve"?
- It is always possible to underachieve. Any time you do not give your best effort you are underachieving. It is almost impossible to overachieve. In fact, I can't think of any examples of overachieving. People might accuse someone of overachieving on homework or a project, but the truth is they are jealous that they didn't do as good as that person.

7. Video Clip: Facing the Giants


8. Spiritual Application: Parable of the Talents

No comments:

Post a Comment